Thursday, January 8, 2009

Show Biz: Thursday 01/08/09

*** Sorry for the lateness of this post. Today's excuse is a faulty PC at work. It's a completely unrelated problem to the one I dealt with a couple of weeks ago.

Different computer, different problem.

Today's issue dealt with the PC locking up at various points during operation, forcing a reboot. It was out of control this morning. I rebooted the machine a half-dozen times before my shift was over.

After our engineer looked at it, the best advice was to try to stay off the internet as much as possible, as the problems were arising when a browser was in use.

There could be some motherboard/hard drive issues, so, while the computer is working -- which it does just fine, you know, except for the whole locking up part -- my main objective is to archive as much as I can onto an external hard drive.

An external archive, as I like to call it. Hopefully by next week things will be back to normal with the computer.

To make a longer story less long, my inability to get online at work caused a delay in posting.

Plus, this afternoon after I picked up Megan from school, she accidentally slammed the car door on her thumb. After the throbbing and sobbing subsided, I took her to the doctor to get the thumb x-rayed (everything is fine).

By the time we got home, had dinner, cleaned up and I collapsed in my computer chair at the house, it was so late that I'm now having a hard time even remembering what we did on the show today.

I at least remember the music tie-ins...


*** For the birthday segment we recognized R. Kelly, who turns 42 today. I think I read somewhere that a few scenes from his "I Believe I Can Fly" video were filmed in Sandwich.

While it was tempting to show you clips of other videos in R. Kelly's arsenal, I think that may be illegal, so we'll just stick with the video of the song we played today.




*** My original plan for the 80's Escape this morning was to roll out a little "Let's Dance" by David Bowie, who turns 61 today.

The song is housed on my PC, and rather than take the chance of having the computer -- and, thus, the song -- freeze in the middle of it, I chickened out, and went with the 1980 classic, "Working My Way Back To You Babe/Forgive Me Girl" by The Spinners.

Loved this song as a kid. Always a treat to try to sing, too, as the low parts ("They're playin' every day"), and the high note at the end are almost impossible to reach.

So, as you watch the video below, don't even bother trying to hit any of the notes. Just do your best Soul Train dancers impression.



And, for the Bowie fans, "Let's Dance" gets equal time below. Trivia buffs will note that Stevie Ray Vaughan handles the guitar on this gem.

Gotta love Bowie's vocals in this. I always get a kick out of how all over the road the vocals are in the "Put on your red shoes and dance the blues" at the 3:11 mark.