Friday, January 30, 2009

Show Biz: Friday 01/30/09

*** Today is Phil Collins' birthday. The longtime member of Genesis, and successful solo artist is 58.

I have to admit, I'm a big fan of Genesis -- mainly the early years with Phil as singer.

Back in the 80's, before the internet age, I can remember assembling my library of Genesis albums. After gaining commercial success with "Misunderstanding", and "Turn It On Again" from the "Duke" album in 1980, I knew that all albums after that had Phil on vocals.

But, I also knew that there was a time in the 70's that Peter Gabriel was the lead singer, while Phil was simply the drummer.

However, trying to find out which albums had Phil singing vs. Peter singing wasn't that easy to come by back then. I only had one friend that was also into the group -- and he didn't know much about their past, either -- so, the only way to know for sure who sang on what album was to buy it, and play it.

With their late 70's albums, me and my buddy would go to a music store, grab a cassette, purchase it, take it out to the car, and give it a listen.

The moment we heard Phil on lead vocals, we cheered.

I didn't get out much.

Phil went from prog-rock drummer to pop superstar in the span of about 10 years. Let's face it, he owned the mid 80's with the combination of solo success ("No Jacket Required") and Genesis success ("Invisible Touch"), and who can forget his guest turn on Miami Vice.

There are probably a lot of you out there that may be a fan of Phil's, but are only familiar with his solo work, the Disney years, or just the most recent Genesis hits, or at least the ones we play a lot on WJDK.

While I like many songs from that era, it's those late 70's - early 80's albums that I always head back to for my Genesis fix.

If you're curious, here are a few of my faves...

Check out a bearded Phil from 1976 on a live version of "Dance On A Volcano", off the album "A Trick Of The Tail".

Also from that album, here's a 1980 live version of "Squonk."

In 1978, Genesis became a three-man group. They're album "...And Then There Were Three" contained one of my all-time favorite Genesis songs, "Undertow". The chorus is very inspirational.

Yes, I am a man.

Some other gems...

1977's "Blood On The Rooftops", from "Wind and Wuthering". Here's a 1981 song that didn't officially make it onto a full studio album -- although it does appear on "Three Sides Live", "You Might Recall", a song that Megan and I often sing together. Finally, the instrumental that closes "A Trick Of The Tail", "Los Endos".

For the birthday tie-in, I chose "I Missed Again" from his debut solo album, "Face Value"




*** Sticking with the early Phil Collins solo career angle, the 80's Escape today was "I Don't Care Anymore", with a raw, angry, recently divorced Phil shouting and banging away on the drums in a very simple, yet intense song.

One of my favorites from his second solo LP, "Hello, I Must Be Going"