Monday, December 22, 2008

Crash And Burn(ed)

Where should I begin?

* We've been off the air since the middle of the weekend thanks to power lines being down at our transmitter site. Hopefully we'll be up and running at some point today, but I have no idea when.

* Sunday morning I get a call from Kevin Schramm alerting me that our main production computer had crashed.

Without getting too technical on you, basically, every commercial that we air is created in our production computer, or the DCS.

The good news, just about all of our commercials were saved. But, anything that was simply stored on the production computer -- and not sent to both the WCSJ and WJDK on-air computers -- is lost forever.

In other words, I lost a ton of sound Sunday.

A lot of the effects, bits, and other non-commercial items are gone. It's my own fault for not backing up those sounds, but to back up these audio clips, you'd have to re-record them, in real time, onto another source, and then save it.

* I've been fighting a cold the last few days, with last night being my worst night as far as sleep is concerned.

* And, the Eagles blew a perfect opportunity to control their playoff destiny yesterday by laying an egg in Washington and losing to the Redskins 10-3.

Sunday, Bloody Sunday.

So, now I'm sitting in the studio, twiddling my thumbs waiting for our signal to come back. It has allowed me the chance to catch up on some things I don't normally get a chance to do.

Ironically, this would have been a perfect time to start archiving some old audio from our DCS unit before it crashes. Oops.