Thursday, December 11, 2008

Show Biz: Thursday 12/11/08

*** Jay went to the Blackhawks game last night.

Good to see he's committing to the Indian.

Yes, the Hawks are relevant again, and they won last night 2-0 over Ottawa.

Jay was right, he and his dad did have great seats.

Here's their view of the opening faceoff...


During our discussion this morning, I rolled out the play-by-play clips I did during a visit to the old Chicago Stadium in my college days. Those clips are running for a few days on our morning show promo, and might get a replay at 5:30 a.m., Friday.

Yeah, I'd bring a little cassette recorder under my jacket and call play-by-play in a bit of a Pat Foley impression. Those were high times for the Hawks and their fans.

My buddies and I would try to get to at least one playoff game per round, and in those days, you could count on the Hawks going a few rounds deep in the NHL playoffs.

The stadium was always packed, and just dripped with energy. This was late 80's to early 90's when the Hawks were perennial Stanley Cup contenders.

For those that never made it to the Chicago Stadium for a hockey game, you really missed out, and there will never be another building like it.

Hopefully the noise was so deafening that the people sitting around us -- or standing, as during a lot of games we would choose to get standing room tickets above the organ -- weren't too offended by my play-by-play (ad)venture.

I was either just a dweeb, or a prophet.

Probably a bit of both.

Here's another pic from last night's game. Jay is on the left and his dad is on the right...


Ummm, Jay and his dad are the two guys in the foreground.


*** For the music fans out there, today's birthday tie-in was a no-brainer. Brenda Lee turned 64 today, so we went with the classic "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree".

I had to. In fact, my FCC license may have evaporated if I didn't play that song at that exact moment.




*** The 80's Escape was a favorite of mine. Jermaine Jackson also had a birthday today, so we offered his monster smash, "Let's Get Serious".

There are so many wonderful things about the video below, even beyond Jermaine's outfit, but my favorite is the fact that he felt the need to lip sync Stevie Wonder's lines.



But, as fun as that video was, I enjoyed this one better - musically at least. It's just a dude playing the bass riffs of the song. Well done.