Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Shopping Spree Grand Prize Thursday!

Hilarity will ensue Thursday morning at 6:50 a.m. when Jay and I join forces with Kevin Schramm to announce the winner of the 2008 Holiday Shopping Spree - a prize worth $500.

It's always fun when the three of us get to be on air at the same time. We sometimes get so lost in telling jokes, making silly comments, and taking light-hearted jabs at each other, we usually run the risk of forgetting to, you know, announce the winner.

In the old days, the "simulcast" of the station went like this: at the appropriate time, I would push a button that allowed the WCSJ audio to go over the air on WJDK. At that point, I'd get up from my microphone, walk across the office and sit at a microphone in Schramm's studio, and we would do the announcement in the same room.

This was due to a simple technology flaw, as my studio was equipped with the means to bring WCSJ audio onto my soundboard, while Kevin's board didn't have that capability.

So, the resulting transitions weren't always the smoothest, especially at the end of the bit, when Kevin would have to talk for the ten seconds it would take for me to get back to my room.

Things are much easier now, as we each have the ability to bring the other studio's audio onto our own soundboards, or to put it in simple terms, we can now turn each other on, instead of me just turning Kevin on.

Or, something like that.

So, amidst all of the yuks, wisecracks, and buffoonery tomorrow, try to sift through all of that frivolity and listen for your name for the grand prize. You'll have 15 minutes to call in and win once your name is announced.

Good luck.