Friday, December 12, 2008

Show Biz: Friday 12/12/08

*** And, what did you do to celebrate Sheila E's birthday? Well, we celebrated by playing "The Glamorous Life" during the 80's Escape.

The 1984 hit was Sheila E's biggest single as a solo artist.

She's also known for being a part of Prince's band in the mid to late 80's.

I always had bigger hopes for Sheila E. Think about it. Name five famous female drummers. Name two. There was Sheila E., and, who? Karen Carpenter?

But, as I look back on Sheila E's career, did she really reach any kind of peak in the world of female drumming, or was she just the "champion" by default.

Don't worry, I don't lose any sleep over it -- just food for thought. I mean, it's not like I'm banging my head against the wall thinking about it, or banging my head against a drum, I guess.


*** The birthday tie-in featured Dionne Warwick, who turns 68 today. With it being the holiday season, we rolled out her version of "Winter Wonderland".


*** I'll get my first look at the undefeated Seneca boys basketball team tonight. I'll be on the call when Seneca hosts Herscher. The game can be heard on our sister station, 103.1 FM, WCSJ.

We'll have reaction from that game, plus a whole bunch of other local sports goodies for you tomorrow morning on Spotlight On Sports at 9:00 a.m.