Friday, February 13, 2009

Show Biz: Friday 02/13/09

*** Peter Gabriel turns 59 today. Despite what I wrote a few days ago on Phil Collins' birthday -- my preference for (the early days of) Genesis with Phil at the mic -- I do like Peter Gabriel as well.

His solo work has been unique, and quite enjoyable. And, I have grown comfortable with the music from Genesis when he was the vocalist -- more for the musicianship, but still.

Besides, how can you not like a guy that was willing to dress up in some of the most bizarre stage costumes known to man.

If your only association with Peter Gabriel is "In Your Eyes", then maybe you should check out some of his work with Genesis.

Try "Watcher Of The Skies", the epic "Supper's Ready", (this is the shortened version), and the fun to sing along with, "I Know What I Like".

For the birthday tie-in, we rolled with the song that quite possibly featured the most famous music video in history, "Sledgehammer".




*** For the 80's Escape, the choice was "Big Time". There's no denying that it's a fun song, and I do like it, but every time I hear it, part of my sports soul takes a shot.

This was a hit for Peter in 1987, the same year Edmonton defeated my Flyers 4 games to 3 in the Stanley Cup Finals. The song they chose to run their series' highlights over..."Big Time."

So, my angst is aimed at Jari Kurri, Mark Messier, The Great One, and the rest of those wacky canucks, not Peter.