Friday, April 17, 2009

Show Biz: Friday 04/17/09

*** The birthday segment today featured a song that has to rank in the top five all-time television themes. Composer Jan Hammer is celebrating his 61st birthday today, and his theme song for Miami Vice is one of my favorites.

It's rare that a theme song to a show hits the charts. It's even rarer for that song -- an instrumental, too -- to go to number one, but it did back in 1985.

In fact, it's the last instrumental song to reach number one.

Cool show -- for back then, at least -- and a very cool theme.

I can remember waking up on weekend mornings, grabbing my walkman and tuning to whatever Top 40 countdown show was on, just so I could hear that song. Bought the 45, too.

Last month, I wrote about how it's not all that cool to play the keyboards -- I know, I play them -- and that no matter what you try, it just doesn't ever appear to be all that cool. Not compared to playing guitar, at least.

Hammer tried to merge the two, by playing a guitar style keyboard.

Nope. That didn't work either.





*** The Spring Buyer's Guide trivia contest has started. If you have a guide, hang on to it. All next week I'll be asking you questions, and the answers are in the guide.

When you call, make sure you have the answer, and the page number you found it on.