Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Show Biz: Tuesday 03/10/09

*** Former American Idol winner -- and one of the most successful singers to emerge from the competition -- Carrie Underwood turns 26 today.

Starting this week, we'll be hearing Carrie's version of the Motley Crue song "Home Sweet Home" on Idol elimination shows after that week's loser gets sent packing.

During the birthday segment this morning, we featured a hit for Carrie from a couple of years ago, "Some Hearts."




*** Yesterday was a treat. I had the pleasure of removing a dead skunk from my yard.

A few days ago we had noticed a skunk smell, but it wasn't constant. That happens about 50 times a year usually, right? I thought nothing more about it.

Then, a couple of days ago, I had to walk down the side of our house to get to the backyard when I smelled it again. I stopped, got my skunk detecting radar out and spotted some white and black hair in amongst some leftover leaves from the fall.

I wasn't sure at that time whether Pepe La Pew was still alive, so I tossed a couple of rocks in that direction, and there was no movement.

Great. Dead skunk. After a hopeful call to animal control, I was told that since it was in my yard, it was my responsibility to remove it.

Thanks.

So, after putting a yard bag in one of our backup trash cans, I shoveled up Pepe, dumped him into the bag, tied it tight, and tossed his body into the Hudson River. Well, not quite.



*** It's always nice when an artist that enjoyed success in the 80's has a birthday. It makes selecting 80's Escape tunes so much easier.

Today, Edie Brickell cooperated. The 43-year old had a big hit back in 1989 with her band, New Bohemians.

The tune, "What I Am".

Here's Edie performing the song on Letterman