Thursday, March 19, 2009

Show Biz: Thursday 03/19/09

*** Tough choice today as far as our musical tie-ins. I was pretty much sold on the songs, but wasn't sure which one would go in which place.

I usually save the more schlocky tunes for the birthday segment, so I can get a reaction from Jay. Couple that with the on-the-spot Stevie impression -- the character in Malcolm In The Middle that talked slow -- and it all added up to a playing of "Respect" by Bruce Willis, who has a birthday today.

How is it possible to pick which bad song by an actor is your favorite from the 80's. This one, or "Heartbeat" by Don Johnson? How about "Party All The Time" by Eddie Murphy?

While you stew over those choices, enjoy Bruce -- I mean, Bruno...





*** While we're (somewhat) on the topic of Malcolm In The Middle, I have to take this moment to recognize the brilliance of Bryan Cranston.

The actor, who played Hal -- the dad -- on that show, is continuing his excellent, Emmy Award winning work, as Walt White in season 2 of the terrific Breaking Bad on AMC.

Cranston, who, for Jay and I, will always have a place in our hearts after his many years of quality guest turns on Seinfeld as Tim Whatley, has been so good in this new role, that it's hard to remember him from his comedic roles of the past.

He was a popular character actor in many shows and movies during, and shortly after his run on Seinfeld. Whenever I'd see him pop up in whatever it was, I'd look at my wife with a smile and say, "Hey! It's Tim Whatley!"

My wife was never all that impressed.

Then, Malcolm came along, and Cranston dove so far into that role as wacky, hapless, but always meaning well, Hal, that, even though he looked pretty similar to the Whatley character, there was very little else that connected him to his Seinfeld days, which just allowed me to enjoy his work even more, without being distracted by the fact that "Tim Whatley" was the dad on the very funny Malcolm series.

Cranston was nominated for an Emmy three times for that role, but never won. The actress that played his wife Lois, Jane Kazcmarek, usually got all of the accolades -- and, rightly so -- for her performance, but Cranston was always fearless, and always delivered.

Now, fast forward to his role on Breaking Bad, and it's just a joy to watch him bring it every week as Walt White, the cancer stricken science teacher, who turns to cooking meth to make the money his family will need for their future.

The show is dark, tense, and excellent.



*** When the 80's Escape rolled around today, that left me with the second song that was up for grabs today, "Neutron Dance" by The Pointer Sisters.

Ruth Pointer turns 63 today.

This song was one of the many that we had to dance to in my junior high P.E. class, so, I always wince a bit when I hear this song.