Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Shield

After last night, there's only one more episode left of The Shield. I've been watching the series since the beginning, and I'll be extremely sad to see it go.

It has been one of the most intense, exciting, and wild rides I've ever seen on television, or anywhere, really.

The series debuted in 2002, and after seeing that Michael Chiklis was cast in the lead role, my initial anticipation for the show took a hit. "Really? The Commish?" I wasn't giving him a chance.

Then, I saw a photo of Chiklis: shaved head, and in good shape, a new man. Then I read some reviews, all of them good, and gave it a try.

Chiklis, and the show, have blown me away. Repeatedly.

I'm not going to get into all of the plot details over the the years, because frankly, there's too much to tell, and, not knowing how much -- if any -- of the show you've seen, I don't want to spoil anything.

If you haven't seen it before, and you like gritty, no-nonsense, in-your-face cop shows, then this is for you.

Go rent the DVD's and catch up.

All I'll say is, The Shield is the only show that I consistently would give up my 9:00pm bedtime to watch, and many times after the show ended at 10:00pm -- especially this season -- it's taken me a good thirty minutes to get to sleep afterwards.

Watching the show has my heart racing, sweat dripping down my back, and sometimes gasping for air.

It's that good.

So, after next Tuesday's 90-minute series finale, which I'm told is amazing, I might just stay up all night, and come in to work without getting any sleep.

And, that might not be by choice.