Thursday, October 30, 2008

Show Biz: Thursday 10/30/08

*** The highlight of the show for me this morning was getting the call from my parents to talk about the Phillies winning the World Series.

The phone rang at about 6:25 a.m. as I was about to go on the air. I answered, and mom and dad were on the other end shouting and cheering the championship, happy for the win, and happy that I got to watch it.

I asked if they wanted to go on the air, and we ended up with a nice segment reflecting on the title, and what it means to us Philly fans.

I've told the story before about how after so many frustrating losses, and years without a title, my dad basically gave up watching games. It wasn't worth it to him, and I gotta admit, I've had some awfully rough days as a sports fan seeing teams from all four major sports reach the playoffs (47 times collectively) since their last team title in 1983, without ever winning a title.

But, last night, as the Phils were taking a 4-3 lead into the 9th, I called dad to let him know. They were actually almost asleep, but fortunately, they woke up, and decided to watch.

I was nine years old the last time the Phillies won the World Series. I remember jumping off the couch at our house in West Chicago on the final strike, with my mom and dad joining me in the celebration.

Last night, I got to enjoy a similar feeling with my wife and our two daughters. Granted, I was the only one really celebrating -- although my wife was happiest for me, after being around for too many of my frustrations over the years with these teams -- it was still a moment I'm glad they were a part of.

Getting to share it with my folks, and with the listeners this morning, is also something I won't forget.