Friday, October 24, 2008

Phils preparing to break my heart?

Well, all of the excitement I felt after watching my Phillies hang on for a tense 3-2 road win in game one of the World Series has been dashed.

After watching their listless performance in a 4-2 loss last night, it's apparent that unless they start driving in some runs with runners in scoring position, their season will be over in about 80 hours or so.

In the first two games, the Phillies have 28 official at-bats with runners in scoring position. Do you know how many hits they have that have produced runs in those circumstances?

The same amount that Jay and I do, none.

After an off-day today, which follows a rather off-night Thursday, the Phillies head home -- the good news -- for game three. ALCS MVP Matt Garza starts for Tampa Bay against 45-year old Jamie Moyer, who's been rocked in his two postseason starts this year -- the bad news.

I'll be working Saturday night doing the Playoff Pairing Show until about 9pm. The plan for me is to tape the game at home on the DVR, then avoid the score while here at work, go home and watch the game. Alone.

I'd hate for anyone to see my tears of disappointment.