Friday, June 5, 2009

Back On Monday

Hey gang. Sorry, I'm a day or two behind on posting. It's been a bit crazy the last few days, so, my apologies.

Just a couple of things for ya...

*** Don't forget to tune in this weekend to the sister station, 103.1 FM, WCSJ for coverage of the Coal City Lady Coalers at state. This is the first time the softball team has made it this far.

Coverage begins today at about 4:15pm, with the first pitch at 4:30 against Stanford Olympia. We'll have more on today's game, and a preview of Saturday's game during Spotlight On Sports tomorrow at 9:00am.

I've had these two vacation days -- today and tomorrow -- set in stone for months now, so I won't be on the call. Jay will get the chance to bring home a champion.

With the way Kirsten Verdun is pitching, I wouldn't bet against them.

If betting on high school sports was legal, of course.



*** Yesterday's Nineties Nugget From The Newsroom was the 1995 mega-hit from Oasis, "Wonderwall".





*** As for me this weekend, I'm headed off to a bachelor party for one of my best friends, Brian, who is getting married in July.

Here's the video of him proposing to his longtime girlfriend at the end of an ABC7 10pm newscast last spring.



I've known Brian since junior high, and the two of us have shared many a laugh over the years, poking fun at just about everything in the pop culture world, and spending a lot of our chats and conversations rehashing all the silly things we've done over the years.

When I play back my feeble attempts at play-by-play at Blackhawk games from my earlier years, Brian was usually right there next to me.

His is the voice yelling "Shoot it!" in one of the clips.

The bachelor party is in Ohio, and we leave this morning and get back Sunday. There will probably be between 15-20 guys in attendance. Hopefully, we all make it back.

Don't worry, I've left all of my auto-erotic asphyxiation equipment at home.

Not sure if Norm will think to play a little INXS for the 80's Escape in honor of the passing of David Carradine, who appears to have died the same way Michael Hutchence did.

At the very least, our first beverage of the trip should be a "Grasshopper".